The Tercentennial Celebration Continues
Edwin Tunis illustration from a special Tercentennial calendar depicting Margaret Brent.
Food consumed the first day of the celebration included 2,500 lbs. of hot dogs, 3,000 sandwiches, 1,000 chicken dinners, 1,000 roast beef cold plates, 7,000 gallons of orangeade, 7,000 gallons of lemonade, and 40 ½ barrels of beer – Prohibition had been repealed just seven months before.
For a small fee, William Butler provided ox cart rides to visitors
Many people came to St. Mary’s City by steamships.
Steamship Potomac delivering visitors to Bromes Wharf
Security was provided by motorcycle police from Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, and West Virginia (five from each state).
Memorial Gates to Trinity Church with some of the Seminary girls.
It seems everyone has to sit on a cannon.
A hogshead of tobacco hauled by an ox.
St. Mary’s City on the days of the pageant.
A view of the area after the festivities.
Cartoon by Yardley of the Baltimore Sun.
Ephemera from the celebration includes Mulberry wood object, Tercentennial celluloid button, and a pennant.
Sumner Welles, Assistant Secretary of State, and other dignitaries visited St. Mary’s City.
Great plans which have taken nearly 75 years to begin to realize.
Festivities over – only the litter is left.
Other Tercentennial actions in St. Mary’s City. Plan for mill reconstruction which never came to fruition.
Major Highway construction (Rte 5) in advance of the celebration.
A Right-of-Way marker near Park Hall.
St. Mary’s 1933
St. Mary’s 1938
Father Andrew White Memorial
Memorial was erected by the Order of the Alahambra of the Knights of Columbus.
Hans Schuler in his studio
The Freedom of Conscience Monument was dedicated May 1935. The creation of this memorial was funded by donations from the counties of Maryland. It was designed by Hans Schuler.
Freedom of Conscience Monument
Freedom of Conscience Monument back
The Pilgrims Altar was constructed in the form of a vesica piscis. The memorial was erected through the efforts of Father LaFarge and the Pilgrims of St. Mary’s.
Home movies of the
by Mr. Jefferson Pattersoncourtesy Michael Smolek, Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
Dig Deeper into the 1934 Tercentennial Celebration.