Simple ways to make more time for family in Southern MD
For the majority of working professionals in Southern Maryland, finding a way to add quality time to their Southern Maryland calendar of events with loved ones can be a delicate balancing act. But working parents do not have to wait until retirement to enjoy being in the company of their families. With some fine tuning, anyone can find ways to spend more time with their children, spouse, extended families, and friends in St. Mary’s County.
TIPS TO ADDING YOUR FAMILY TO YOUR CALENDAR OF THINGS TO DO
- Eat dinner together every night. Eating dinner as a family enables everyone to be a part of one another’s day and discuss important issues facing the family. According to The Family Dinner Project, eating as a family can boost kids’ academic performance, lower their risk of substance abuse and provide an opportunity for parents to gauge the emotional and physical well-being of their children. Avoid activities that cut into dinner time and rearrange work schedules to accommodate nightly meals with the
- Switch work hours. Many employers understand the benefits of flex time. If possible, leave the office at 4 p.m. to make it home for family time, and then log back on remotely at 7 p.m. to finish the day’s work. Working from home also reduces commute time, which can free up more time to spend with loved
- Put it on the calendar of events. Many families have to abide by a calendar to stay organized. Family time may fall by the wayside unless it is Treat it as any important event so it becomes a priority.
- Work together. Family time need not be limited to recreation or leisure. Get the entire family involved in a chore or project so you can work together toward a common goal. Landscaping, painting a room in the house or even grocery shopping are some examples of chores that can be turned into a family
- Enjoy family media. Instead of retiring to separate corners of the house with tablets or mobile phones in tow, find a TV series everyone can enjoy together. Spend some binge-worthy hours seeing how stories unfold, taking time to discuss each episode when it
Family time is something that takes work, but making it a priority can offer real benefits. We hope you’ll visit Historic St. Mary’s County during your next family day.